Thursday, August 28, 2008

Michael D. Wentworth Goes Live

I was sitting in a client meeting the other day and the client included a young female intern. She was bright, friendly and knew her stuff. One of the topics was social media. The client was closer to my age (50) than to the intern’s age. When I started sharing the new dynamics of inbound marketing, it was all new to my client. But the intern got it.

She began talking about how she uses social media. I couldn’t have done it better. She explained that she hates intrusive advertising. She never reads magazines or newspapers. She Tivo’s all her TV programs and never watches the ads. Finally, she said she spends most of her time online talking to friends…she’s never met or talked to.

Less than two years ago, Facebook.com was a place where college kids posted photos of drinking parties. Today, it is the new universal trade show and every individual or company has a booth. It took less than two years for that to happen.

So I’ve started a blog. And a Facebook profile. I guess old marketers can learn new tricks. What’s interesting is the tricks haven’t changed, just the tools.

This blog is about the tricks I’ve learned in 30 years of customer-centric marketing and the new tools to implement them. Stay tuned. This is going to be fun.

No comments: